Subject: [PATCH 5/6] ARM: mvebu: Add thermal quirk for the Armada 375 DB board

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:08:54 +0200

Dear Jason Cooper,

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:55:48 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:

> > Sounds like a good plan. Try to keep all the mess to support Z1 in one
> > place so that it can be easily taken out once people have A0.
> 
> Agreed.  Thomas, do you think you'll be able to get a definitive answer
> from Marvell re the number of Z1 boards in the wild?  Once they've moved
> to the A0, of course.

My understanding is that Marvell has never been interested in having
mainline support for the Z1 stepping. It just happens to be a necessary
step to make progress with the general goal of supporting 375 in
mainline, but I don't expect Marvell to be interested in supporting the
Z1 boards in the wild.

> Unless we can get a hard answer on that, I doubt we'll ever withdraw
> support for the Z1.  Not that that's a bad thing, just trying to be
> realistic.  If we add code, expect to support it.

Yes, indeed.

> And keeping it all in one place is kind of an impossibility.  Just for
> thermal Z1, there are changes to the binding docs, the thermal driver,
> and the soc code.
> 
> I'd say it's more important to keep it clean, with dts files targeting
> the A0+ SoCs, and the Z1 being the exception case(s).

That's what we've tried to do so far: the thermal driver works for the
A0+ by default, and only as an exception supports Z1.

Thanks!

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com