Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Introduce drivers/soc and add QCOM GSBI driver

From: [email-masked] (Andy Gross)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:21:52 -0500

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 09:48:16AM -0400, Christopher Covington wrote:

<snip>

> In that thread, Olof wrote, "The code [going into drivers/soc] isn't the pure
> drivers. Those we find homes for."

Right.  I see this as glue for the most part.  You could argue it's a small
pinctrl, but this doesn't route external pins, it's more to connect pins
internally to the IP block and it's sub-device parts (qup, uart, etc).

> 
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/2/123
> 
> > The remaining patches add the QCOM GSBI (General Serial Bus Interface) driver,
> > device tree binding information for both the GSBI and child node interaction,
> > and lastly a patch to fix the current MSM serial driver to work correctly with
> > the GSBI changes.
> 
> It's not obvious to me what makes the GSBI driver "impure" and unfit for say
> drivers/bus. Could you perhaps include a brief explanation?

The intent of the gsbi driver is merely to provide/configure the single mux
setting for the devices that share those 4 IO lines.  I don't see this as a full
blown bus.

Regards,

Andy
-- 
sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation