Subject: [PATCH] i2c: Make I2C ID tables non-mandatory for DT'ed and/or ACPI'ed devices

From: [email-masked] (Lee Jones)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 20:25:16 +0100

> > Would you mind telling me what I have changed that affects drivers
> > registering via Sysfs?
> 
> Check Documentation/i2c/instantiating-devices, method 4. If a driver
> does not have i2c_device_id, then this method won't work because the
> newly created device has no of_node or ACPI_node and nothing will match.
> Looking at the bigger picture, I'd really like to keep this feature.
> People use it.

Right, I read the function which provides the functionality, but my
point is; I don't think my patch changes the semantics in a way which
would adversely affect this option.  If you think that it does, can you
specify how please?

Does the sysfs method create a i2c_device_id table?  If not, how does
it probe successfully pre-patch?

-- 
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead
Linaro.org ? Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog