Subject: [GIT PULL] Allwinner sunXi clock changes for 3.16

From: [email-masked] (Mike Turquette)
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 08:12:16 -0700

Quoting Maxime Ripard (2014-06-04 00:19:22)
> Hi Mike,
> 
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2014 at 10:41:20AM -0700, Mike Turquette wrote:
> > Quoting Emilio L?pez (2014-06-01 12:13:48)
> > > Hi Mike,
> > > 
> > > Here is the sunxi clocks pull for 3.16. As you probably saw during the 
> > > cycle, this mostly contains improved A31 support and a bit of 
> > > housekeeping. Please note that this pull does *not* contain the MMC 
> > > clock patches Hans sent, as you merged those yourself on clk-next
> > 
> > Hi Emilio,
> > 
> > -rc8 is pretty late for me to take this in under normal circumstances,
> > and since the merge window opened early this time I will defer taking
> > this pull request in until 3.16-rc1 is released. It'll be one of the
> > first things applied to the new clk-next.
> 
> I know that Emilio has been pretty late at sending this, but at least
> the A31 USB clocks patches is quite important for us, since it would
> allow to add the A31 to Olof's boot test farm.

I guess you will still reap the benefits of Olof's boot testing if this
is merged after 3.16-rc1?

> 
> Could you reconsider merging this?
> 
> Just so that doesn't happen again, when do you expect the pull
> requests?

There isn't a hard rule for "must be in by -rcN". But I really don't
like taking patches after the merge window opens. Something bothers me
about the commitdate for patches in clk-next being later than the
commitdate for the new Linux major release. I always take some trivial
patches during this time, or fixes which are obvious and would have to
be sent for the next round of -rc's anyways, but features or new
hardware support is something I don't like to take after the merge
window opens.

I was bit a couple merge windows back by trying to be too aggressive
about sneaking stuff in at the last minute and I learned my lesson ;-)

Regards,
Mike

> 
> Thanks,
> Maxime
> 
> -- 
> Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com