Subject: [Patch V2 2/2] i2c: mv64xxx: Remove internal compatible string from Documentation

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Lunn)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 17:52:56 +0200

> > We don't translate into 'Marketing names'. We just turn the register
> > values into a stringified number. So it would have to be something
> > like:
> > 
> >         if (soc_name_is("7826") && soc_revision_is("1"))
> 
> Hmm, I think that is inconsistent with how the strings are used
> on other platforms, where you want something that uniquely identifies
> the device in user-readable strings.

Unfortunately, it is not so simple. There are a few different Armada
XP SoCs. E.g. dual core and quad core. And this is pretty normal for
Marvell. There are maybe 5 different Kirkwoods, a few different
Orion5x etc. So at minimum it would of had to be e.g. "Armada XP
7826".

However, it is too late now. This is part of the ABI, and Debian's
flash-kernel is making use of this in order to get the right DT blob.
So we cannot change it.

   Andrew