Subject: [PATCH v2 1/3] arm64: spin-table: handle unmapped cpu-release-addrs

From: [email-masked] (Catalin Marinas)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:13:23 +0100

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 01:58:45PM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
> > With the 3.17 merge window not far from closing, is there anything we
> > could still do this cycle to get $subject addressed?
> > As I have indicated before, the newly introduced TEXT_OFFSET fuzzing
> > may break APM Mustang if booting from UEFI (i.e., for low values of
> > rand()), and as this option is recommended for distribution kernels,
> > it could make apt-get update'ing your kernel a frustrating experience.
> > However, the fix for that issue triggers the issue addressed by
> > $subject.
> > 
> > In my personal opinion, relaxing the requirements imposed on where
> > your cpu-release-addr may live could remain a separate discussion. In
> > the APM Mustang case, even when adhering to booting.txt by the letter
> > (i.e., pu cpu-release-addr in a memreserved area in DRAM and load
> > Image at a 2 meg boundary + TEXT_OFFSET), the kernel fails to bring up
> > the secondaries if the cpu-release-addr is below the kernel.
> 
> For the moment I would be happy with the patch as it stands (using
> ioremap_cache).
> 
> Catalin, Will?

Using ioremap_cache() sounds fine to me but I have to dig the original
patches as I've only been cc'ed in the middle of the thread (and that's
just for patch 1/3).

-- 
Catalin