Subject: [PATCH 3/3] ARM: zynq: DT: Add Ethernet phys

From: [email-masked] (Jason Gunthorpe)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:48:25 -0600

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 09:31:20AM -0700, S?ren Brinkmann wrote:

> > >  - the marvell compatible strings are used in our vendor tree. They
> > >    aren't used anywhere but in our vendor tree. I though keeping them is
> > >    nice since it identifies the PHY fully. And in case that level of
> > >    detail is needed at some point it is already there.
> > 
> > DT is complex enough already, don't include useless compatible strings
> > in mainline - people will see and tend to blindly copy. Ideally your
> > vendor tree would use the standard property :|
> 
> There are different opinions on this. I also heard to just add such
> strings, so in case this level of differentiation becomes necessary at
> some later point, it is already existing.

In some cases, yes, and they should be docuemented in the binding, of
course.

But there is already a standard compatible string format to uniquely
identify a phy, so in this case another string is not justified, and
just creates confusion about what is correct.

Jason