Subject: [PATCH V3 0/6] ARM64: Add support for FSL's LS2085A SoC

From: [email-masked] (Mark Rutland)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 10:13:19 +0100

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 07:31:44PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 September 2014 17:31:30 Mark Rutland wrote:
> > 
> > However, I'm not sure I follow the reasoning for making this
> > significantly harder, and even ignoring that I don't think this does
> > make things significantly harder. Especially so if we have a PSCI node
> > but not an enable method -- in that case its trivial to patch in an
> > unrelated enable-method anyhow.
> 
> Right, it's not actually much harder. A better way to look at it is
> probably that we document what which parts we expect to stay constant
> and which parts are to be filled out by the boot loader. Independent
> of what PSCI implementation the boot loader provides, we would like
> to see enable-method="psci".

So in the /cpus node, have a comment like:

/*
 * We expect the enable-method to be "psci", but this is dependent on
 * the FW, which will fill this in.
 */

Or, should we put together a soc-guidance.txt with that, ensuring things
are initialised correctly (CNTVOFF, CNTFREQ), etc?

> I just saw that Geoff had a related comment, and documenting this
> would make it clearer to other reviewers, as well as people that
> happen to look at this file as a base for new platforms.

I agree that having something to point people in the right direction is
a good idea. The only point I disagree with is putitng something in the
DT that can be trivially made false (and possibly with good reason).

I'm happy with having comments.

Mark.