Subject: [PATCH] i2c: qup: Fix order of runtime pm initialization

From: [email-masked] (Andy Gross)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:59:23 -0500

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 06:53:24PM -0700, Bjorn Andersson wrote:
> On Mon 29 Sep 15:00 PDT 2014, Andy Gross wrote:
> 
> > The runtime pm calls need to be done before populating the children via the
> > i2c_add_adapter call.  If this is not done, a child can run into issues trying
> > to do i2c read/writes due to the pm_runtime_sync failing.
> > 
> 
> May I ask in what case this would fail?  I thought we tested this as we found
> the faulty error check after calling pm_runtime_get_sync().

This is a different kind of failure.   If during probe, the children do some I2C
activity, they will encounter issues with the runtime_sync due to the pm_runtime
not being initialized.  However, once the qup probe completes, everything works
fine.

The original runtime_sync issue revolved around the runtime_sync return value
being misinterpreted due to the incorrect check.

<snip>

-- 
sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
hosted by The Linux Foundation