Subject: [PATCH 06/10] arm64: Update booting.txt to reserved-memory nodes

From: [email-masked] (Mark Rutland)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:18:44 +0100

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:04:00PM +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Mark Rutland <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:10:58AM +0100, Geoff Levand wrote:
> > > Change any reference of device tree '/memreserve/' entries in the arm64
> > > booting.txt to refer to 'reserved-memory nodes'.  Reserved-memory nodes
> > > are the preferred method of specifying reserved memory.
> >
> > Per my comments on patch 5, I don't think this change is sufficient.
> >
> > However, we should probably update the document to allow reserved-memory
> > nodes.
> >
> > On an unrelated note we probably need to work out how reserved-memory
> > interacts with the UEFI memory map -- unmappable regions shouldn't be
> > described by UEFI and I hope people don't use reserved-memory as a
> > workaround for broken UEFI tables.
> 
> 
> When booting with UEFI, the boot stub will clear out all memory nodes
> and (should) clear out reserved regions so that the kernel can use the
> UEFI memory map as authoritative.

We clear memory nodes and memreserves currently.

I was thinking about reserved-memory nodes (for CMA and such), which we
don't currently clear.

Mark.