Subject: [PATCH 2/4] spi: st: Provide Device Tree binding documentation

From: [email-masked] (Lee Jones)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 14:55:42 +0000

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 11:43:54AM +0000, Lee Jones wrote:
> 
> > +Required properties:
> > +- compatible	: "st,comms-ssc-spi" or "st,comms-ssc4-spi"
> 
> What do the two different compatible strings mean (for example, should
> ssc4 be used for version 4 and higher or is it just a quirk for that
> version)?

This appears to be historical.  There aren't any functional
differences i.e. we don't match on them.  I believe the former is a
more informal, generic name and the latter is the official name of the
IP block.  The I2C component already upstreamed has the same naming
conventions by the looks of it.

-- 
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead
Linaro.org ? Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog