Subject: [PATCH 3/4] devicetree: bindings: Add defeature-repeated-start property for Cadence I2C

From: [email-masked] (Wolfram Sang)
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 14:16:11 +0100

> But given the bugs, it will be useful to just disable it if the system doesn't
> require repeated start.

What do you do when disable repeated start? Sending STOP and START? If
so, this is really something different than repeated start. By using
I2C_FUNC_I2C a user expects repeated start, so if the HW does not
support it, we should say so and don't try to emulate it with something
different.

> If you think DT entry is not the way to go, do you think a CONFIG option or
> something better will work?

No, check at runtime if the transfer is possible on this HW. Bail out if
not.

> We chose a DT property because there is a good chance the user has multiple
> cadence I2C controllers - one connected to a slave that needs repeated start
> (like a power controller) and another that doesn't care.

The user should not need to know with this level of detail if we can
avoid it IMO.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 819 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20141202/f108c6a4/attachment.sig>