Subject: [PATCH] ARM: dts: imx: Add dr_mode host setting to all host-only usb instances

From: [email-masked] (Matt Porter)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:08:09 -0500

On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 12:43:36PM +0800, Peter Chen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 11:41:35AM +0800, Shawn Guo wrote:
> > 
> > On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 09:06:00AM -0500, Matt Porter wrote:
> > > The chipidea driver adds an extra line of spam to the log when a
> > > host-only chipidea instance is left set to the default of a dual role
> > > controller.
> > > 
> > > [    2.010873] ci_hdrc ci_hdrc.1: doesn't support gadget
> > > 
> > > Set the dr_mode property to host on all the host-only nodes
> > > to avoid this warning.
> 
> It is not an warning, it is dev_info.

True enough, it's info level but is essentially warning that, in the
case of instances that are restricted to host only (at the SoC level),
that the DT hardware description is incorrect. Yes, it's benign, but
if the dtsi is corrected for those parts we don't have to see that
message.

> In fact, imx28, imx6sl and imx6sx's second controller is dual-role
> controller, we only set dr_mode at board's dts according to design
> unless the controller's capability register is incorrect.

The patch doesn't set dr_mode to host on the second controller for
the imx6sl or imx6sx, only on the third host-only controller. If
imx28's second controller is really dual-role capable then the
reference manual is incorrect and I can drop that hunk in v2.
I only have imx6q and imx6d parts in hand to verify so for the rest
I went by the RM claim of which controllers were host-only.

> So, sorry, I don't think this change is necessary.

I can correct the set of instances that should have dr_mode set to host
in v2 of this. We clearly have some that should have this set in their
SoC .dtsi to have the hardware description correct.  Will that work for
you or do you want the SoC-specific cases of this property to be only
reflected in the board level dts?

-Matt