Subject: Intermittent efi libstub build errors on arm64

From: [email-masked] (Steve Capper)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 11:09:57 +0000

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 10:34:29AM +0000, Steve Capper wrote:
> Hi,
> I've run into some strange build errors with 3.19.
> 
> If I set a high number of parallel jobs, I sometimes get build errors
> such as:
> 
> mv: cannot stat ?drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/.fdt.o.tmp?: No such file or directory
>   AR      drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/lib.a
> scripts/Makefile.build:257: recipe for target 'drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/fdt.o' failed
> make[1]: *** [drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/fdt.o] Error 1
> Makefile:939: recipe for target 'drivers/firmware/efi/libstub' failed
> make: *** [drivers/firmware/efi/libstub] Error 2
> 
> and,
> 
> fixdep: error opening depfile: drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/.efi-stub-helper.o.d: No such file or directory
> scripts/Makefile.build:257: recipe for target 'drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/efi-stub-helper.o' failed
> make[1]: *** [drivers/firmware/efi/libstub/efi-stub-helper.o] Error 2
> Makefile:939: recipe for target 'drivers/firmware/efi/libstub' failed
> make: *** [drivers/firmware/efi/libstub] Error 2
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> 
> 
> I think some dependency information/header includes may need tweaking
> somewhere. Has anyone else come across this, or know more?
> 

Having done some more digging, I believe it may be the libstub
directory being entered twice by the build system.

I am testing the following patch out:
--- a/drivers/firmware/efi/Makefile
+++ b/drivers/firmware/efi/Makefile
@@ -7,4 +7,3 @@ obj-$(CONFIG_EFI_VARS_PSTORE)		+= efi-pstore.o
 obj-$(CONFIG_UEFI_CPER)			+= cper.o
 obj-$(CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_MAP)		+= runtime-map.o
 obj-$(CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_WRAPPERS)	+= runtime-wrappers.o
-obj-$(CONFIG_EFI_STUB)			+= libstub/

To see if the problem persists.

> Cheers,
> -- 
> Steve