Subject: [PATCH] ARM: at91: force CPU selection

From: [email-masked] (Alexandre Belloni)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 19:32:00 +0100

On 10/03/2015 at 14:42:24 +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote :
> On Tuesday 10 March 2015 10:42:09 Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> > > 
> > > I actually added a bunch of these in other places, but have stopped
> > > doing so because Russell didn't like them, and I tend to follow
> > > his argument now that it's actually pretty confusing.
> > > 
> > > In case of at91, we can do better now, once we have multiplatform
> > > enabled, and we can simply remove the SOC_SAM_V7 and SOC_SAM_V4_V5
> > > symbols entirely (if Alexandre's patch doesn't already do that).
> > > 
> > 
> > I didn't remove it to keep the sub menus SOC_SAM_V7 -> SOC_SAMA5D4 and
> > SOC_SAMA5D3, SOC_SAM_V4_V5 -> SOC_AT91SAM9 and SOC_AT91RM9200. But I can
> > also expose SOC_AT91RM9200, SOC_AT91SAM9, SOC_SAMA5D3 and SOC_SAMA5D4
> > instead of SOC_SAM_V7 and SOC_SAM_V4_V5 and remove them.
> 
> Exposing multiple levels won't help here since you can never enable
> both v4/v5 and v7 at the same time in multiplatform.
> 
> Just use one level for a 'menuconfig ARCH_AT91' entry and put the
> four options below that.
> 

Actually, I had a closer look today and there is already just one level
in my current version of patches.

I can put everything under menuconfig ARCH_AT91 but I can't remove
SOC_SAM_V7 and SOC_SAM_V4_V5 because that is what is used to select
which dtb should be compiled.

This would also break sama5_defconfig. This is a simple fix but that
means that it makes it difficult to migrate an existing .config.

I'd say let's keep it that way as this is not broken, unless you really
want to see SOC_SAM_V7 and SOC_SAM_V4_V5 being removed.

-- 
Alexandre Belloni, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com