Subject: [RFC PATCH 1/2] tee: generic TEE subsystem

From: [email-masked] (Greg Kroah-Hartman)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 20:47:13 +0200

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:04:20AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 10:57:12AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 09:50:56AM +0200, Jens Wiklander wrote:
> > > +struct tee_device {
> > > +	char name[TEE_MAX_DEV_NAME_LEN];
> > > +	const struct tee_desc *desc;
> > > +	struct device *dev;
> > 
> > No, please embed the device in your structure, don't have a pointer to
> > it.
> 
> Greg, "dev" here is not a locally allocated device, but the parent device.
> It's actually the same as struct tee_device.miscdev.parent, which could be
> used instead and this member deleted.

A miscdev doesn't need to have a "parent", it's just there to provide a
character device node to userspace, not to represent a "device that you
can do things with in the heirachy".

If you really want that, then use a real 'struct device' as should be
done here.  Have just a pointer to a misc device, that is meant to be
dynamic.

thanks,

greg k-h