Subject: [PATCH] arm64/kvm: Add generic v8 KVM target

From: [email-masked] (Christoffer Dall)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:53:18 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 02:49:08PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 25 June 2015 at 14:44, Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > It should always be possible to emulate a "known" CPU on a generic host,
> > and it should be able to migrate. The case we can't migrate is when we
> > let the guest be generic (which I guess should really be unknown, and
> > not generic).
> >
> > So if the user specify "-cpu cortex-a57" on the command line, the guest
> > should be able to migrate from an A72 to an A53. if the user specified
> > "-cpu host", the resulting guest won't be able to migrate.
> >
> > Does it make sense?
> 
> Yes. We've always said "-cpu host" won't be cross-host migratable
> from a QEMU point of view.
> 
ok, this makes sense.  It's basically up to userspace to mandate that
trying to migrate something that used unknown cpu (via -cpu host or
whatever) cannot be migrated.

-Christoffer