Subject: Have any influence on set_memory_** about below patch ??

From: [email-masked] (Mark Rutland)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 11:28:13 +0000

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 01:02:31PM +0800, Xishi Qiu wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> 
> If I do like this, does it have the problem too?
> 
> kmalloc a size
> no access
> flush tlb
> call set_memory_ro to change the page table flag
> flush tlb
> start access

This is broken.

The kmalloc will give you memory form the linear mapping. Even if you
allocate a page, that page could have been mapped with a section at the
PMD/PUD/PGD level.

Other data could fall within that section (e.g. a kernel stack,
perhaps).

Additional TLB flushees do not help. There's still a race against the
asynchronous TLB logic. The TLB can allocate or destroy entries at any
tim. If there were no page table changes prior to the invalidate, the
TLB could re-allocate all existing entries immediately after the TLB
invalidate, leaving you in the same state as before.

Thanks,
Mark.