Subject: [PATCH v3 2/3] ARM: DRA7: add pdata-quirks to do reset of PCIe

From: [email-masked] (Tony Lindgren)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 09:23:24 -0800

* Sekhar Nori <[email-masked]> [160118 01:13]:
> On Saturday 16 January 2016 01:11 AM, Suman Anna wrote:
> > On 01/15/2016 01:22 PM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> >> I doubt this platform_data is dra7 specific. I believe it's
> >> the same PCI controller that has been in the omap variants for
> >> years?
> > 
> > AFAIK, this only applies to DRA7. Sekhar/Kishon can confirm. I did take
> > a quick look at OMAP3/4/5 TRMs, and didn't find any. Neither did a grep
> > on current hwmod files other than DRA7. There's a DM81xx related PCI
> > clock domain, but don't see any corresponding driver/device for the same.
> 
> Like Suman, I do not know of any TI SoC that came off the OMAP mobile
> business that has PCIe.
> 
> DM81xx has a PCIe (but no mainline driver). Both DM81xx and DRA7x use a
> designware core. But, the glue layer (which is the subject of interest
> here), is completely different. I looked at the DM81xx driver in TI
> kernel[1] to confirm this.

OK thanks for checking.

> I remember talking to Kishon about similarities between the DM81xx and
> DRA7x PCIe subsystem and remember that he too mentioned that they are
> quite different.

OK

> For an IP like PCIeSS, its quite difficult to come-up with unique names
> without using the name of the platform they first appeared in. Anyway,
> the driver is already called "pci-dra7xx", so I guess there is no harm
> in having that name in platform data as well. That in itself should not
> preclude its use on other platforms later (although I agree having a
> generic name would be ideal).

Yeah seems OK to me. I still have some PM runtime related questions
though.. Will reply to the related patch chunk though.

Regards,

Tony