Subject: [PATCH v2 10/11] arm: Add Aspeed machine

From: [email-masked] (Afzal Mohammed)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:50:05 +0530

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 09:02:54AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-04-22 at 08:28 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > It may or may not be already correct, you don't necessarily have a
> > serial enabled bootloader or it might be using a UART driver that
> > doesn't use the 'standard' divisors etc... This just sanitizes it.

> On a second thought ... if we chose to not support random crap vendor
> uboots, we could make it a requirement that this register is already
> set appropriately by the bootloader to match what's in the device-tree
> I suppose...

ARM Linux expects bootloader to initialize one serial port
(Documentation/arm/Booting). Though mentioned as optional, recommended
so far haven't seen one w/o that. And to debug at early boot stage
like in assembly and where uart driver is not yet up, this helps in
being able to debug w/o jtag.

Regards
afzal