Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] pci: host: new driver for Marvell Armada 7K/8K PCIe controller

From: [email-masked] (Bjorn Helgaas)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:28:46 -0500

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 03:46:11PM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 17:36:15 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> 
> > Thomas Petazzoni (2):
> >   dt-bindings: pci: add DT binding for Marvell Armada 7K/8K PCIe
> >     controller
> >   pci: host: new driver for Marvell Armada 7K/8K PCIe controller
> > 
> >  .../devicetree/bindings/pci/pci-armada8k.txt       |  38 +++
> >  drivers/pci/host/Kconfig                           |  11 +
> >  drivers/pci/host/Makefile                          |   1 +
> >  drivers/pci/host/pcie-armada8k.c                   | 261 +++++++++++++++++++++
> >  4 files changed, 311 insertions(+)
> >  create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pci/pci-armada8k.txt
> >  create mode 100644 drivers/pci/host/pcie-armada8k.c
> 
> Bjorn, any comment about this additional PCIe host driver? The
> corresponding Device Tree binding has been approved by Rob Herring. The
> driver itself is fairly trivial as it relies on the common Designware
> logic.

It *is* pretty trivial.  The reason I'm hesitating is because we have
all these DesignWare-based drivers (dra7xx, exynos, imx6, ks, ls,
dw_plat, hisi, qcom, spear13xx, and now armada8k), and they're
*mostly* similar, but they differ in minor, annoying ways.  This is
becoming a significant maintenance burden for me, and I'd like to
figure out how to mitigate that.

For now, I don't have any great ideas except that it would be nice to
remove needless variations.  The following is a typical code
structure, but it's not universally followed:

  XXX_pcie_probe
    XXX_add_pcie_port
      dw_pcie_host_init
        XXX_pcie_host_init
	  dw_pcie_setup_rc
	  XXX_pcie_establish_link

There's a hodge-podge of ways to get related resources (clocks and
PHYs) and initialize them.  IRQ setup is not really consistent across
all the drivers.  It's sort of disappointing that most of these
drivers have a "dbi_base" resource, but they use different DT property
names for it.

The armada8k driver doesn't have a DRV_add_pcie_port() function or a
DRV_pcie_establish_link() function, and it has its own "wait for link"
timeout loop instead of using dw_pcie_wait_for_link().

How about if you just shuffle those bits around into
an armada8k_add_pcie_port() and an armada8k_pcie_establish_link(), and
we'll call that good for now?

Bjorn