Subject: [PATCH 10/10] cpufreq: mvebu: Use generic platdev driver

From: [email-masked] (Thomas Petazzoni)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:55:03 +0200

Hello,

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 17:46:53 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > What code are you talking about? Initializing the OPPs or adding the
> > cpufreq-dt device? The first one (or whatever is left now in that
> > function) can stay anywhere, even as a cpufreq driver. I was talking
> > about the fact that we don't have a sequence problem to solve here.
> 
> My line of thinking was that the armada_xp_pmsu_cpufreq_init()
> function makes sense by itself and feels like it should be
> one file in drivers/cpufreq, including the creation of the device.
> 
> Even without the argument of the sequencing, they two parts sort
> of belong together because the cpufreq-dt driver depends on both
> of them being run before it can function. It's also the same amount
> of code, as you are replacing one line in armada_xp_pmsu_cpufreq_init
> with one line in "struct of_device_id machines".
> 
> It's not really that important, just a feeling I had that it could
> be done better. Unless the mvebu maintainers feel strongly about
> it, just do as you prefer.

As a mvebu folk, I don't really have a strong opinion on this. We also
have some cpufreq device registration code in
arch/arm/mach-mvebu/kirkwood.c for the older Kirkwood platform, though
this one uses a custom cpufreq driver and not the generic cpufreq-dt
driver.

Ideally, in the grand direction of removing as much things as possible
from mach-<foo> directories, it would be great to move such
initializations somewhere else. But cpufreq is not by far not the only
reason why we still have code in mach-<foo>, at least in the mvebu land.

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
http://free-electrons.com