Subject: [PATCH] arm64: Relocate screen_info.lfb_base on PCI BAR allocation

From: [email-masked] (Matt Fleming)
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 22:17:38 +0100

(Pulling in efifb maintainer, Peter)

On Fri, 29 Apr, at 06:31:19PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> 
> The efifb.c driver doesn't do anything at all with PCI (it includes
> linux/pci.h, but probably doesn't need it).  That's part of what I'm
> suggesting -- if it *did* register as a PCI device driver, then it
> would look at pci_dev->resource[n], which is populated by the PCI
> core based on the BAR values.
 
This discussion came up recently here,

  https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20160216151859.GB11373 at redhat.com

There's nothing PCI-specific about the EFI framebuffer per se, but in
practice it's always a PCI device.

> Is ConOut what you're after?  I.e., is the whole point of this
> exercise to get a framebuffer driver attached to the device that was
> the firmware console?  I would think the ConOut path should be
> decodable -- it has to tell you how to navigate the interconnect from
> the CPU to the device.  But I don't know how to do it.
> 
> It looks like on x86, at least, setup_gop32()/setup_gop64() might be
> extracting the framebuffer address from the ConOut device and stuffing
> it into screen_info, which is what efifb.c later looks at (maybe this
> is what Ard was referring to).
 
Matthew Garrett wrote the x86 code for guessing where the console is.
We look for the ConOut protocol with a fallback to first GOP device if
we can't find it. I think the heuristic was based on reading the
implementation in EDK2. See commit 38cb5ef4473c ("X86: Improve GOP
detection in the EFI boot stub").