Subject: ARM, SoC: About the use DT-defined properties by 3rd-party drivers

From: [email-masked] (Mark Rutland)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 16:47:30 +0100

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 04:55:59PM +0200, Sebastian Frias wrote:
> On 09/13/2016 03:12 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> >> Exactly, that is why I was thinking it would take less "review" time.
> >> Indeed, if there is no driver, why would it matter what those bindings
> >> are?
> > 
> > If you believe that the bindings don't matter, then there is absolutely
> > no reason for them to exist in the first place.
> > 
> > If those binding matter to *anyone*, then those collating the bindings
> > have some responsibility of stewardship, and that includes
> > review/maintenance/etc.
> 
> The thing is that right now it seems the "responsibility of stewardship"
> lies only within "Linux", whereas DT is proposed as open for everybody,
> Bootloaders, FreeBSD, etc.
> 
> In that case, shouldn't the "responsibility" be shared?

Ideally, yes.

Which is one of the reasons devicetree.org was set up as a common forum
for projects to collaborate on devicetree.

Thanks,
Mark.