Subject: [RFC PATCH] PCI/ACPI: xgene: Add ECAM quirk for X-Gene PCIe controller

From: [email-masked] (Bjorn Helgaas)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 16:22:58 -0500

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 06:07:37PM -0700, Duc Dang wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 07:24:38AM -0700, Duc Dang wrote:

> This patch only adds the ability for X-Gene PCIe controller to be
> probable in ACPI boot mode. All the 'quirk' code added is for ECAM to
> work with X-Gene.
>
> > I sort of expected this to also remove, for example, the seemingly
> > identical xgene_pcie_config_read32() in drivers/pci/host/pci-xgene.c.
> > Actually, a bunch of this code seems to be duplicated from there.  It
> > doesn't seem like we should end up with all this duplicated code.
> >
> > I'd really like it better if all this could get folded into
> > pci-xgene.c so we don't end up with more files.
> 
> I am still debating whether to put this X-Gene ECAM quirk code into
> drivers/acpi or keep it here in drivers/pci/host. But given the
> direction of other quirk patches for ThunderX and HiSi, seem like the
> quirk will stay in drivers/pci/host. I can definitely fold the new
> quirk code into pci-xgene.c as you suggested and eliminate the
> identical one.

I like Tomasz's patches, where the MCFG quirk itself is in
acpi/pci_mcfg.c, and it uses config accessors exported from
drivers/pci/host.

I do not want to end up with duplicate accessors.  The mapping
functions and accessors should be the same whether we're booting with
DT or ACPI.

I think a patch to add ACPI support should only contain:

  - acpi/pci_mcfg.c quirks to fix incorrect ACPI MCFG resources or use
    special accessors,

  - pnp/quirks.c quirks to compensate for missing ACPI _CRS for the
    ECAM regions, and

  - pci-xgene.c code to derive the csr_base and cfg_base.  Today we
    get that from DT, but the _CRS producer/consumer mess means we
    don't have a good way to get it from ACPI, so you'll need some
    sort of quirk for this.

> >> +struct xgene_pcie_acpi_root {
> >> +     void __iomem *csr_base;
> >> +     u32 version;
> >> +};
> >
> > I think this should be folded into struct xgene_pcie_port so we don't
> > have to allocate and manage it separately.
> 
> I will need to look into this more. When booting with ACPI mode, the
> code in pci-xgene.c is not used (except the cfg read/write functions
> that are shared with ECAM quirk code), so puting these into
> xgene_pcie_port will force ECAM quirk code to allocate this structure
> as well.

This information is needed whether booting with DT or ACPI, so we
should use the existing xgene_pcie_port.csr_base and initialize it
differently depending on which we're using.

> >> +     default:
> >> +             return -ENODEV;
> >> +     }
> >> +
> >> +     xgene_root->csr_base = ioremap(csr_base, XGENE_CSR_LENGTH);
> >
> > There should be a request_region() somewhere, too.  Ideal would be to
> > use devm_ioremap_resource(), but I don't know where this apparent
> > resource is coming from.
> 
> Yes, I will use request_region/devm_ioremap_resource here.

We're not *adding* any new resources that need ioremapping; all we're
doing is changing the *source* of the resource, so we should use the
same devm_ioremap_resource() you already have in xgene_pcie_map_reg().
You might have to refactor that slightly so we can lookup the resource
via either DT or ACPI (you'll probably actually use a quirk since ACPI
doesn't have a good mechanism for this), and then use the same call to
devm_ioremap_resource().

Bjorn