Subject: [PATCH] efi/arm: fix absolute relocation detection for older toolchains

From: [email-masked] (Matt Fleming)
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 22:30:45 +0100

On Tue, 04 Oct, at 11:34:31AM, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
> 
> These relocations are harmless, since the debug ones are only
> interpreted by the debugger, and the ones generated by
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(sort) will never be referenced, since the symbols they
> contain are either renamed to __efistub_xxx (arm64), or they are not
> part of the kernel proper (arm)
> 
> So both cases are false positives, but the diagnostic is important,
> and so breaking the build is appropriate for any other absolute
> relocation that may appear.
> 
> The effect of the patch is not that the diagnostic is ignored, but
> that these relocations are not generated in the first place (-g0) or
> removed explicitly (ksymtab/krcrctab+sort) rather than via a wildcard.
> So other than not breaking the build, this patch should have no user
> observeable differences.

Thanks Ard, sounds reasonable. Feel free to take this through
whichever tree you think is best.

Reviewed-by: Matt Fleming <[email-masked]>