Subject: [PATCH V2 1/3] Revert "ACPI,PCI,IRQ: reduce static IRQ array size to 16"

From: [email-masked] (Bjorn Helgaas)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:02:39 -0500

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 03:36:11PM -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
> On 10/13/2016 2:15 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> > It seems like the problem is that we removed acpi_penalize_sci_irq(),
> > which told us the polarity and trigger mode.  We tried to get that
> > information via irq_get_trigger_type(), but that didn't work in this
> > case because we use the acpi_irq_get_penalty() path before the SCI is
> > registered.
> > 
> > It makes sense to me to add acpi_penalize_sci_irq() back in, which is
> > what patch [3/3] does.
> > 
> > I don't understand how *this* patch, which basically just increases
> > the penalty array size from 16 to 256, helps fix the problem.  It
> > seems like this patch should only matter if the SCI were some IRQ
> > between 16 and 255.
> 
> 
> I see your point. The original code supported 256 interrupts. 
> 
> The machine where we had the problem had an SCI interrupt of 11. So,
> this patch does not necessarily fix anything for this machine alone.
> However, to be safe; I wanted to go back to the old behavior to fix
> the SCI issue for all existing platforms.

I saw a previous email that said the SCI interrupt could not be
greater than 256, but I don't know where that restriction is.  I'm
pretty sure the FADT field is 2 bytes, which would mean it could be up
to 65535.

To fix this problem, I think we only need to fix the penalty for the
SCI interrupt.  It seems better to add a single "sci_penalty"
variable, set it to PIRQ_PENALTY_PCI_USING if it's level/low or
PIRQ_PENALTY_ISA_ALWAYS otherwise, and add "sci_penalty" in when
appropriate.  That should fix it for *any* SCI IRQ, not just those
less than 256, and we don't have to add these extra penalty table
entries that are all unused (except possibly for one entry if we have
an SCI in the 16-255 range).

Something like this:

  static int sci_irq, sci_penalty;

  void acpi_penalize_sci_irq(int irq, int trigger, int polarity)
  {
    sci = irq;
    if (trigger == ACPI_MADT_TRIGGER_LEVEL &&
        polarity == ACPI_MADT_POLARITY_ACTIVE_LOW)
      sci_penalty = PIRQ_PENALTY_PCI_USING;
    else
      sci_penalty = PIRQ_PENALTY_ISA_ALWAYS;
  }

  static int acpi_irq_get_penalty(int irq)
  {
    int penalty = 0;

    if (irq == sci_irq)
      penalty += sci_penalty;
    ...
  }

One could argue that ACPI devices can use IRQs above 15, and we should
handle penalties for them, too.  But the table is the wrong mechanism
for that, because it handles penalties for IRQs < 256, but IRQs above
that would mysteriously be handled differently.

Bjorn