Subject: v4.10-rc4 to v4.10-rc5: battery regression on Nokia N900

From: [email-masked] (Pavel Machek)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 15:19:28 +0100

Hi!

> It seems that battery driver stopped working on N900 between -rc4 and
> -rc5.

pavel at amd:/data/l/linux-n900$ git bisect log
# bad: [41f283973653dc44af47585fa79fb6da6ffdc2e2] Merge
/data//l/clean-cg into mini-v4.10
# good: [4f8d9925eb1de1ec1c4183164f1bc7b01f5ae185] It seems mainline
-rc4 did have a fix for the sound issue. Use that one.
git bisect start 'mini-v4.10'
'4f8d9925eb1de1ec1c4183164f1bc7b01f5ae185'
# good: [e90665a5d38b17fdbe484a85fbba917a7006522d] Merge tag
'ceph-for-4.10-rc5' of git://github.com/ceph/ceph-client
git bisect good e90665a5d38b17fdbe484a85fbba917a7006522d
# good: [83fd57a740bb19286959b3085eb93532f3e7ef2c] Merge tag
'powerpc-4.10-2' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux
git bisect good 83fd57a740bb19286959b3085eb93532f3e7ef2c
# good: [c497f8d17246720afe680ea1a8fa6e48e75af852] Merge tag
'usb-4.10-rc5' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb
git bisect good c497f8d17246720afe680ea1a8fa6e48e75af852
# bad: [bb6c01c2dde67b165cf7c808b0f00677b6f94b96] Merge branch
'for-rc' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rzhang/linux
git bisect bad bb6c01c2dde67b165cf7c808b0f00677b6f94b96
# good: [18591add41ec9558ce0e32ef88626c18cc70c686] thermal: rockchip:
handle set_trips without the trip points
git bisect good 18591add41ec9558ce0e32ef88626c18cc70c686
# bad: [f53345e8cf027d03187b9417f1f8883c516e1a5b] thermal: core: move
tz->device.groups cleanup to thermal_release
git bisect bad f53345e8cf027d03187b9417f1f8883c516e1a5b
# bad: [7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c] thermal:
thermal_hwmon: Convert to hwmon_device_register_with_info()
git bisect bad 7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c
# first bad commit: [7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c]
thermal: thermal_hwmon: Convert to hwmon_device_register_with_info()
pavel at amd:/data/l/linux-n900$

pavel at amd:/data/l/linux-n900$ git bisect log
# bad: [41f283973653dc44af47585fa79fb6da6ffdc2e2] Merge
/data//l/clean-cg into mini-v4.10
# good: [4f8d9925eb1de1ec1c4183164f1bc7b01f5ae185] It seems mainline
-rc4 did have a fix for the sound issue. Use that one.
git bisect start 'mini-v4.10'
'4f8d9925eb1de1ec1c4183164f1bc7b01f5ae185'
# good: [e90665a5d38b17fdbe484a85fbba917a7006522d] Merge tag
'ceph-for-4.10-rc5' of git://github.com/ceph/ceph-client
git bisect good e90665a5d38b17fdbe484a85fbba917a7006522d
# good: [83fd57a740bb19286959b3085eb93532f3e7ef2c] Merge tag
'powerpc-4.10-2' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/powerpc/linux
git bisect good 83fd57a740bb19286959b3085eb93532f3e7ef2c
# good: [c497f8d17246720afe680ea1a8fa6e48e75af852] Merge tag
'usb-4.10-rc5' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb
git bisect good c497f8d17246720afe680ea1a8fa6e48e75af852
# bad: [bb6c01c2dde67b165cf7c808b0f00677b6f94b96] Merge branch
'for-rc' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rzhang/linux
git bisect bad bb6c01c2dde67b165cf7c808b0f00677b6f94b96
# good: [18591add41ec9558ce0e32ef88626c18cc70c686] thermal: rockchip:
handle set_trips without the trip points
git bisect good 18591add41ec9558ce0e32ef88626c18cc70c686
# bad: [f53345e8cf027d03187b9417f1f8883c516e1a5b] thermal: core: move
tz->device.groups cleanup to thermal_release
git bisect bad f53345e8cf027d03187b9417f1f8883c516e1a5b
# bad: [7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c] thermal:
thermal_hwmon: Convert to hwmon_device_register_with_info()
git bisect bad 7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c
# first bad commit: [7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c]
thermal: thermal_hwmon: Convert to hwmon_device_register_with_info()
pavel at amd:/data/l/linux-n900$

7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c is the first bad commit
commit 7611fb68062f8d7f416f3272894d1edf7bbff29c
Author: Fabio Estevam <[email-masked]>
Date:   Tue Dec 27 15:31:49 2016 -0200

    thermal: thermal_hwmon: Convert to
    hwmon_device_register_with_info()

    Booting Linux on a mx6q based board leads to the following
    warning:

    (NULL device *): hwmon_device_register() is deprecated. Please
    convert the
        driver to use hwmon_device_register_with_info().

    ,so do as suggested.

    Also, this results in the core taking care of creating the 'name'
        attribute, so drop the code doing that from the thermal
        driver.

 Suggested-by: Guenter Roeck <[email-masked]>
 Signed-off-by: Fabio Estevam <[email-masked]>
 Signed-off-by: Zhang Rui <[email-masked]>

:040000 040000 b3f6095ab53677277c2f9d75cb6430afb6825765
156a18e983a22b8ae43c7b312a4e1c63017f0e26 M	drivers

I'll try to revert it on the top of v4.10-rc5 now... and yes, it fixes
the issue.

Any idea what went wrong and how to fix that?

Anyway as we are at -rc5 and this is warning fix that caused a
regression on different hardware... it should be reverted.

Best regards,

								Pavel
-- 
(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 181 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20170123/401a99d3/attachment.sig>