Subject: v4.10-rc4 to v4.10-rc5: battery regression on Nokia N900

From: [email-masked] (Pavel Machek)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:16:26 +0100

Hi!

> >>That sounds like fun. Changing bq27200-0 to bq27200_0 is Forbidden by
> >>the ABI Police, but taking the entire device away is ok.

Changing bq27200-0 to bq27200_0 is forbidden in -rc6 time. If you
believe noone depends on the name, argue your case, and it might be
possible to change it in -rc0.

If someone uses the name, they care about the device, and you can't
take it away.

> >No. IMO, it depends on if the interface is used or not.
> >If hwmon I/F is used, we can not take it away, nor change its name.
> 
> Even if the use doesn't depend on that name ?

If the use doesn't depend on the name, you may get away with changing
the name. (But not in -rc6.)

> >If thermal zone I/F is used, we can not change it's 'type' name to be
> >compatible with new hwmon API.
> 
> You mean you can not fix the name to be compatible with libsensors.
> 
> Makes me wonder if there shouldn't be a rule that exploits must not
> be fixed if already exploited.

That is not useful argumentation.
									Pavel

-- 
(english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
(cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 181 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
URL: <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/attachments/20170127/acb177c3/attachment-0001.sig>