Subject: [linux-sunxi] Re: [PATCH 1/2] dmaengine: sun6i: make gate bit in sun8i's DMA engines a common quirk

From: [email-masked] (Vinod Koul)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 09:24:08 +0530

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 11:04:39AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 02:15:29PM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> > > SoC info is in compatible, so there's no reason to make it a property.
> > 
> > that's why it would need to be optional for the SoC's that needs these..
> 
> There's nothing optional about that behaviour, it's mandatory for the
> SoC that need it, and useless on the SoC that don't.

And why should kernel put strings for each hw behaviour. I am expecting DT
to tell me if this SoC is a special case or not and kernel shall handle
accordingly

> Plus, that would require changing the DT binding, which isn't
> something we can do.

Any reason why bindings can't change..? I though this was support for new
SoC...

-- 
~Vinod