Subject: [PATCH V3 1/8] drivers: Add boot constraints core

From: [email-masked] (Viresh Kumar)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:52:17 +0200

On 29-08-17, 08:39, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> How is this information getting to the kernel from the bootloader?  I
> didn't see where that happened, just a single example driver that
> somehow "knew" what had to happen, which seems odd...

I tried to do it with DT earlier, but we couldn't reach to an agreement on what
bindings to add and so this series started doing things the old way. The kernel
would have platform specific drivers, which would exactly know what constraints
to set and we wouldn't need the bootloaders to pass anything for now.

> This is a lot of new code for no users,

I agree and so added the patch 8/8 to show a real user. I will convert that to a
patch going forward, which can be merged along with this series.

> I would like to see at least 3
> real drivers that are using it before we merge it, as then you have a
> chance of getting the user/kernel api correct.

Hmm, so I am quite sure that this is a fairly generic problem to solve,
specifically for all the handheld devices. I can get code for few of the Qcom
SoCs but they may end up using the same platform driver. Not sure if I can get
code for multiple SoC families in the beginning.

-- 
viresh