Subject: [PATCH v3 0/9] ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Updates to the driver

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 16:21:01 +0100

From: Marcus Cooper <[email-masked]>

Hi All,

here is a patch series to add some improvements to the sun4i-i2s driver
found whilst getting slave clocking and hdmi audio working on the newer
SoCs. Since the last push there has been some activity getting surround
sound working and this is included.

The functionality included with the new patch set has been extended to
cover more sample resolutions, multi-lane data output for HDMI audio
and some bug fixes that have been discovered along the way.

I can see more usage of the tdm property since I last attempted to push
these patches and the examples currently in mainline sort of the opposite
to what I'm trying to achieve. When we first started looking at the i2s
driver, the codecs that we were using allowed for the frame width to be
determined based on the sampling resolution but in most use cases it
seems that a fixed width is required(my highest priority should be to get
HDMI audio support in). We're using the tdm property to override the old
way to calculate the frame width. What I've seen in what has already been
mainlined is that the i2s driver has a frame width that is fixed to 32
bits and this can be overridden using the tdm property.

Anyway, I've moved the more controversial patches to the top of the stack
as I'm expecting feedback.

Have a great Xmas and New Year,

BR,
CK

---

v3 changes compared to v2 are:
 - added back slave mode changes
 - added back the use of tdm properties
 - changes to regmap and caching
 - removed loopback functionality
 - fixes to the channel offset mask

v2 changes compared to v1 are:
 - removed slave mode changes which didn't set mclk and bclk div.
 - removed use of tdm and now use a dedicated property.
 - fix commit message to better explain reason for sign extending
 - add divider calculations for newer SoCs.
 - add support for multi-lane i2s data output.
 - add support for 20, 24 and 32 bit samples.
 - add loopback property so blocks can be tested without a codec.

---

Marcus Cooper (9):
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Adjust regmap settings
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Add regmap field to sign extend sample
  ASoc: sun4i-i2s: Add 20, 24 and 32 bit support
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Fix offset mask
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Correct divider calculations
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Add multi-lane functionality
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Do not divide clocks when slave
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Add set_tdm_slot functionality
  ASoC: sun4i-i2s: Add multichannel functionality

 sound/soc/sunxi/sun4i-i2s.c | 399 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
 1 file changed, 267 insertions(+), 132 deletions(-)

-- 
2.20.1

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel