Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 10/25] ACPI / APEI: Tell firmware the estatus queue consumed the records

From: Borislav Petkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:45:32 +0100

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 10:32:23AM -0500, Tyler Baicar wrote:
> The kernel would have no way of knowing what to do here.

What do you mean, there's no way of knowing what to do? It needs to
clear registers so that the next error can get reported properly.

Or of the status read failed and it doesn't need to do anything, then it
shouldn't.

Whatever it is, the kernel either needs to do something in the error
case to clean up, or nothing if the firmware doesn't need anything done
in the error case; *or* ack the error in the success case.

This should all be written down somewhere in that GHES v2
spec/doc/writeup whatever, explaining what the OS is supposed to do to
signal the error has been read by the OS.

-- 
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

Good mailing practices for 400: avoid top-posting and trim the reply.

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel