Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 03/10] usb: ehci-orion: avoid double PHY initialization

From: Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:55:59 +0100

Hi Gregory,

Gregory CLEMENT <[email-masked]> wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2019
17:25:30 +0100:

> Hi Miquel,
>  
>  On ven., janv. 11 2019, Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > No need to initialize the PHY from the driver's probe. It is done by
> > the core automatically and doing it twice would increment the  
> 
> Do you know exactly which core take care of it?

The Orion's probe function calls usb_add_hcd() which handles PHY
initialization (init, set mode, power on).

> 
> When the phy support was added to this driver there was not such
> feature. I made some research and found that recently (less than one
> year ago) a series was added to initialize PHYs at HCD level[1]. I think
> that our platform was forgotten in the conversion.

AFAICS the conversion was applied to ehci-platform.c but not to other
drivers so yes, this one was left aside but there are maybe others in
the same situation.

> 
> Could you check that we are now aligned with the requirement of this
> series?

There has been quite a few evolutions since this series but for what I
understand, yes we are.

Thanks,
Miquèl

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel