Subject: Re: [PATCH 6/6] net: ethernet: ti: cpsw: deprecate cpsw-phy-sel driver

From: Tony Lindgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 13:01:27 -0800

* David Miller <[email-masked]> [190220 20:42]:
> From: Tony Lindgren <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:33:26 -0800
> 
> > * David Miller <[email-masked]> [190220 19:23]:
> >> From: Grygorii Strashko <[email-masked]>
> >> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 17:25:19 +0200
> >> 
> >> > Deprecate cpsw-phy-sel driver as it's been replaced with new
> >> > TI phy-gmii-sel PHY driver.
> >> > 
> >> > Signed-off-by: Grygorii Strashko <[email-masked]>
> >> 
> >> Acked-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > Thanks for the ack, but actually I'd prefer you to pick
> > this patch at some future date. I suggest Grygorii just
> > repost this one after v5.1-rc1.
> 
> It's so much easier if you group this with those DT changes, they
> logically belong together as well and it helps someone reading
> the changes in the tree also if they are side by side.

I agree that a group of patches should go together in
most cases.

> Why don't you want to integrate this with them?

Because the arm-soc tree wants dts changes separately in
general. The dts changes are considered firmware describing
hardware. And it makes it possible to split the arm-soc pile
of patches into multiple pull requests. In theory there
should be no dependency between dts changes and driver
changes, but in reality that's not always the case :)

What I can do is set up a separate branch with just this
patch on top of the dts changes that the arm-soc guys can
then merge towards the end of the merge cycle. If that
works for you, let me know and I'll do it.

Regards,

Tony

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel