Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 16/27] mtd: nand: ecc: Let the software BCH ECC engine be a module

From: Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 15:02:24 +0100

Hi Adam,

Adam Ford <[email-masked]> wrote on Thu, 21 Feb 2019 07:48:46 -0600:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 6:58 AM Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > There is no reason to prevent the software BCH ECC engine
> > implementation to be compiled as a module, so change the 'bool' into a
> > 'tristate'.  
> 
> If you're booting from nand and need the BCH engine, it seems to me
> like you'd need it to be compiled into the kernel because you'd have
> to mount the filesystem before loading the module unless you have a
> initramfs.  If you need the BCH engine to mount the filesystem, it
> creates a dependency issue.

That's true, I could mention this use case in the commit log. But the
action of choosing to compile it as a module is done by the user, so I
guess preventing any user to use it as a module is nonetheless too
restrictive?

Thanks,
Miquèl

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel