Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 6/8] dt-bindings: i2c: iproc: add "brcm, iproc-nic-i2c" compatible string

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 12:17:57 +0200

> Note APE is a co-processor that is not visible from the Linux running
> from the host processor.
> 
> "brcm,iproc-nic-i2c" here is introduced to allow the I2C port from APE
> to be completely owned by the host CPU, to meet the requirement of
> certain use cases. At the same time, the control of the I2C port from
> APE will be disabled.
> 
> The "brcm,ape-hsls-addr-mask" defines the address translation and be
> programmed into some configuration registers to allow the host to
> directly access the I2C registers of APE. Note those configuration
> registers are owned by the host, and that address is not APE's address
> space nor the host is intending to take over the control of APE.
> 
> Therefore, I think it makes way more sense to use an address mask type
> of DT property here.

Thanks for the explanation! Well, since Rob is already OK with it, then
so am I.

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel