Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/8] i2c: i2c-qcom-geni: Signify successful driver probe

From: Lee Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2019 08:16:25 +0100

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019, Bjorn Andersson wrote:

> On Tue 04 Jun 03:44 PDT 2019, Lee Jones wrote:
> 
> > The Qualcomm Geni I2C driver currently probes silently which can be
> > confusing when debugging potential issues.  Add a low level (INFO)
> > print when each I2C controller is successfully initially set-up.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Lee Jones <[email-masked]>
> > ---
> >  drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-qcom-geni.c | 2 ++
> >  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)
> > 
> > diff --git a/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-qcom-geni.c b/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-qcom-geni.c
> > index 0fa93b448e8d..e27466d77767 100644
> > --- a/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-qcom-geni.c
> > +++ b/drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-qcom-geni.c
> > @@ -598,6 +598,8 @@ static int geni_i2c_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
> >  		return ret;
> >  	}
> >  
> > +	dev_info(&pdev->dev, "Geni-I2C adaptor successfully added\n");
> > +
> 
> I would prefer that we do not add such prints, as it would be to accept
> the downstream behaviour of spamming the log to the point where no one
> will ever look through it.

We should be able to find a middle ground.  Spamming the log with all
sorts of device specific information/debug is obviously not
constructive, but a single liner to advertise that an important
device/controller has been successfully initialised is more helpful
than it is hinderous.

This print was added due to the silent initialisation costing me
several hours of debugging ACPI device/driver code (albeit learning a
lot about ACPI as I go) just to find out that it was already doing the
right thing - just very quietly.

-- 
Lee Jones [李琼斯]
Linaro Services Technical Lead
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs
Follow Linaro: Facebook | Twitter | Blog

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel