Subject: Re: [PATCH 18/39] docs: admin-guide: add kdump documentation into it

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2019 08:46:38 -0300

Em Fri, 5 Jul 2019 13:59:04 +0800
Dave Young <[email-masked]> escreveu:

> On 07/05/19 at 11:43am, Alex Shi wrote:
> > 
> > 
> > 在 2019/6/28 下午8:30, Mauro Carvalho Chehab 写道:  
> > > The Kdump documentation describes procedures with admins use
> > > in order to solve issues on their systems.
> > > 
> > > Signed-off-by: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
> > > ---
> > >  Documentation/admin-guide/bug-hunting.rst            | 4 ++--
> > >  Documentation/admin-guide/index.rst                  | 1 +
> > >  Documentation/{ => admin-guide}/kdump/gdbmacros.txt  | 0
> > >  Documentation/{ => admin-guide}/kdump/index.rst      | 1 -
> > >  Documentation/{ => admin-guide}/kdump/kdump.rst      | 0
> > >  Documentation/{ => admin-guide}/kdump/vmcoreinfo.rst | 0  
> > 
> > I am not sure if it's convenience for people to have more levels in docs.
> > 
> > But I guess, move archs into a Documentation/arch/ dir should be fine. like Documentation/arch/{x86,arm,arm64,ia64,m68k,s390,powerpc,...}  
> 
> Alex, moving kdump to admin-guide sounds reasonable to me.  I also agree
> with you for those arch dependent files can be moved to
> Documentation/arch/, maybe you are talking about some other patches in
> the series for the arch/? 

Alex,

It makes sense for me to have a Documentation/arch directory, and place
the arch-specific docs over there.

There's actually a technical advantage on doing that: Sphinx is dumb
with regards to PDF/LaTeX output: it requires all top documents to be
listed at Documentation/conf.py, under this var:

	latex_documents = [
		...
	]

As it creates one runtime Makefile at Documentation/output per listed
document there. So, the more we group such documents, the less merge
conflicts we'll have at Documentation/conf.py.

Btw, there's a [TECH TOPIC] proposal for KS/2019 meant to discuss 
Documentation.

I suspect we could discuss the pros/cons of doing such change there.

My personal view is that we should keep the Documentation/ root dir as
clean as possible as a long term goal.

On the other hand, it makes the path bigger and harder to rename.

On a side note, last time we discussed documentation at KS I remember
I proposed to shortcut "Documentation/" to just "docs/". The consensus
on that time were to keep the big name. I still think that a shorter
one could help people to remind where documentation will be located.

Thanks,
Mauro

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel