Subject: Re: [PATCH v5] arm64: kernel: implement fast refcount checking

From: Kees Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:27:07 -0700

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 06:11:42PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 09:43:54AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote:
> > (Also, what happened to the *_checked() variations?)
> 
> The new implementation is intended to replace the *_checked() variants,
> and the discrepancy in naming doesn't make any sense to me once everything
> is inline in the header file. Am I missing something?

I haven't looked at the resulting builds, but the reason for the
_checked() macro stuff was to provide a way for callers to opt into a
checked refcount_t regardless of the state of REFCOUNT_FULL (especially
for architectures without special refcount handling). If that is
retained, then all is well. It just looked odd to me in the patch.

-- 
Kees Cook

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel