Subject: Re: RFC: call_rcu_outstanding (was Re: WARNING in __mmdrop)

From: Joel Fernandes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 11:14:39 -0400

[snip]
> > Would it make sense to have call_rcu() check to see if there are many
> > outstanding requests on this CPU and if so process them before returning?
> > That would ensure that frequent callers usually ended up doing their
> > own processing.

Other than what Paul already mentioned about deadlocks, I am not sure if this
would even work for all cases since call_rcu() has to wait for a grace
period.

So, if the number of outstanding requests are higher than a certain amount,
then you *still* have to wait for some RCU configurations for the grace
period duration and cannot just execute the callback in-line. Did I miss
something?

Can waiting in-line for a grace period duration be tolerated in the vhost case?

thanks,

 - Joel

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel