Subject: [PATCH 00/34] put_user_pages(): miscellaneous call sites

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 19:16:19 -0700

From: John Hubbard <[email-masked]>

Hi,

These are best characterized as miscellaneous conversions: many (not all)
call sites that don't involve biovec or iov_iter, nor mm/. It also leaves
out a few call sites that require some more work. These are mostly pretty
simple ones.

It's probably best to send all of these via Andrew's -mm tree, assuming
that there are no significant merge conflicts with ongoing work in other
trees (which I doubt, given that these are small changes).

These patches apply to the latest linux.git. Patch #1 is also already in
Andrew's tree, but given the broad non-linux-mm Cc list, I thought it
would be more convenient to just include that patch here, so that people
can use linux.git as the base--even though these are probably destined
for linux-mm.

This is part a tree-wide conversion, as described in commit fc1d8e7cca2d
("mm: introduce put_user_page*(), placeholder versions"). That commit
has an extensive description of the problem and the planned steps to
solve it, but the highlites are:

1) Provide put_user_page*() routines, intended to be used
for releasing pages that were pinned via get_user_pages*().

2) Convert all of the call sites for get_user_pages*(), to
invoke put_user_page*(), instead of put_page(). This involves dozens of
call sites, and will take some time.

3) After (2) is complete, use get_user_pages*() and put_user_page*() to
implement tracking of these pages. This tracking will be separate from
the existing struct page refcounting.

4) Use the tracking and identification of these pages, to implement
special handling (especially in writeback paths) when the pages are
backed by a filesystem.

And a few references, also from that commit:

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/774411/ : "DMA and get_user_pages()"
[2] https://lwn.net/Articles/753027/ : "The Trouble with get_user_pages()"

Ira Weiny (1):
  fs/binfmt_elf: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()

John Hubbard (33):
  mm/gup: add make_dirty arg to put_user_pages_dirty_lock()
  net/rds: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  net/ceph: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  x86/kvm: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  drm/etnaviv: convert release_pages() to put_user_pages()
  drm/i915: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  drm/radeon: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  media/ivtv: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  media/v4l2-core/mm: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  genwqe: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  scif: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  vmci: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  rapidio: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  oradax: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  staging/vc04_services: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  drivers/tee: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  vfio: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  fbdev/pvr2fb: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  fsl_hypervisor: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  xen: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  fs/exec.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  orangefs: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  uprobes: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  futex: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  mm/frame_vector.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  mm/gup_benchmark.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  mm/memory.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  mm/madvise.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  mm/process_vm_access.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  crypt: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  nfs: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  goldfish_pipe: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()
  kernel/events/core.c: convert put_page() to put_user_page*()

 arch/x86/kvm/svm.c                            |   4 +-
 crypto/af_alg.c                               |   7 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/etnaviv/etnaviv_gem.c         |   4 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gem/i915_gem_userptr.c   |   9 +-
 drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_ttm.c           |   2 +-
 drivers/infiniband/core/umem.c                |   5 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/user_pages.c       |   5 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/qib/qib_user_pages.c    |   5 +-
 drivers/infiniband/hw/usnic/usnic_uiom.c      |   5 +-
 drivers/infiniband/sw/siw/siw_mem.c           |  10 +-
 drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtv-udma.c            |  14 +--
 drivers/media/pci/ivtv/ivtv-yuv.c             |  10 +-
 drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf-dma-sg.c     |   3 +-
 drivers/misc/genwqe/card_utils.c              |  17 +--
 drivers/misc/mic/scif/scif_rma.c              |  17 ++-
 drivers/misc/vmw_vmci/vmci_context.c          |   2 +-
 drivers/misc/vmw_vmci/vmci_queue_pair.c       |  11 +-
 drivers/platform/goldfish/goldfish_pipe.c     |   9 +-
 drivers/rapidio/devices/rio_mport_cdev.c      |   9 +-
 drivers/sbus/char/oradax.c                    |   2 +-
 .../interface/vchiq_arm/vchiq_2835_arm.c      |  10 +-
 drivers/tee/tee_shm.c                         |  10 +-
 drivers/vfio/vfio_iommu_type1.c               |   8 +-
 drivers/video/fbdev/pvr2fb.c                  |   3 +-
 drivers/virt/fsl_hypervisor.c                 |   7 +-
 drivers/xen/gntdev.c                          |   5 +-
 drivers/xen/privcmd.c                         |   7 +-
 fs/binfmt_elf.c                               |   2 +-
 fs/binfmt_elf_fdpic.c                         |   2 +-
 fs/exec.c                                     |   2 +-
 fs/nfs/direct.c                               |   4 +-
 fs/orangefs/orangefs-bufmap.c                 |   7 +-
 include/linux/mm.h                            |   5 +-
 kernel/events/core.c                          |   2 +-
 kernel/events/uprobes.c                       |   6 +-
 kernel/futex.c                                |  10 +-
 mm/frame_vector.c                             |   4 +-
 mm/gup.c                                      | 115 ++++++++----------
 mm/gup_benchmark.c                            |   2 +-
 mm/madvise.c                                  |   2 +-
 mm/memory.c                                   |   2 +-
 mm/process_vm_access.c                        |  18 +--
 net/ceph/pagevec.c                            |   8 +-
 net/rds/info.c                                |   5 +-
 net/rds/message.c                             |   2 +-
 net/rds/rdma.c                                |  15 ++-
 virt/kvm/kvm_main.c                           |   4 +-
 47 files changed, 151 insertions(+), 266 deletions(-)

-- 
2.22.0

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel