Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: add link to stm32mp157 docs

From: Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 09:44:58 -0600

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:23:30 +0200
Alexandre Torgue <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >> +Datasheet and reference manual are publicly available on ST website:
> >> +.. _STM32MP157: https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32mp157.html
> >> +  
> > 
> > Adding the URL is a fine idea.  But you don't need the extra syntax to
> > create a link if you're not going to actually make a link out of it.  So
> > I'd take the ".. _STM32MP157:" part out and life will be good.
> >   
> 
> We also did it for older stm32 product. Idea was to not have the "full" 
> address but just a shortcut of the link when html file is read. It maybe 
> makes no sens ? (if yes we will have to update older stm32 overview :))

Did you actually run it through Sphinx to see what you get?  If I
understand the effect you're after, you want something like this:

  The datasheet and reference manual are publicly available on
  STM32MP157_.

  .. _STM32MP157: https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32mp157.html

IOW you have to actually *use* the label you are setting up.  That's a fine
way to do it, I guess, though I'm not really convinced it's better than
just putting the URL in directly.

Thanks,

jon

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel