Subject: Re: [PATCH] arm: fix page faults in do_alignment

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 08:55:24 +0100

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 09:49:45AM +0800, Jing Xiangfeng wrote:
> On 2019/8/30 21:35, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 09:31:17PM +0800, Jing Xiangfeng wrote:
> >> The function do_alignment can handle misaligned address for user and
> >> kernel space. If it is a userspace access, do_alignment may fail on
> >> a low-memory situation, because page faults are disabled in
> >> probe_kernel_address.
> >>
> >> Fix this by using __copy_from_user stead of probe_kernel_address.
> >>
> >> Fixes: b255188 ("ARM: fix scheduling while atomic warning in alignment handling code")
> >> Signed-off-by: Jing Xiangfeng <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > NAK.
> > 
> > The "scheduling while atomic warning in alignment handling code" is
> > caused by fixing up the page fault while trying to handle the
> > mis-alignment fault generated from an instruction in atomic context.
> 
> __might_sleep is called in the function  __get_user which lead to that bug.
> And that bug is triggered in a kernel space. Page fault can not be generated.
> Right?

Your email is now fixed?

All of get_user(), __get_user(), copy_from_user() and __copy_from_user()
_can_ cause a page fault, which might need to fetch the page from disk.
All these four functions are equivalent as far as that goes - and indeed
as are their versions that write as well.

If the page needs to come from disk, all of these functions _will_
sleep.  If they are called from an atomic context, and the page fault
handler needs to fetch data from disk, they will attempt to sleep,
which will issue a warning.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel