Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/1] i2c: iproc: Add i2c repeated start capability

From: Wolfram Sang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 11:49:41 +0200

Hi Ray,

> > With all the limitations in place, I wonder if it might be easier to
> > implement an smbus_xfer callback instead? What is left that makes this
> > controller more than SMBus and real I2C?
> > 
> 
> Right. But what is the implication of using smbus_xfer instead of
> master_xfer in our driver?
> 
> Does it mean it will break existing functions of the i2c app that our
> customers developed based on i2cdev (e.g., I2C_RDWR)?

If the customers uses I2C_RDWR (and it cannot be mapped to i2c_smbus_*
calls) then this is an indication that there is some I2C functionality
left which the HW can provide. I'd be interested which one, though.

> 1) Does

Maybe you wanted to describe it here and it got accidently cut off?

Regards,

   Wolfram

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel