Subject: [PATCH] iommu/arm-smmu: fix "hang" when games exit

From: Rob Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 10:50:13 -0700

From: Rob Clark <[email-masked]>

When games, browser, or anything using a lot of GPU buffers exits, there
can be many hundreds or thousands of buffers to unmap and free.  If the
GPU is otherwise suspended, this can cause arm-smmu to resume/suspend
for each buffer, resulting 5-10 seconds worth of reprogramming the
context bank (arm_smmu_write_context_bank()/arm_smmu_write_s2cr()/etc).
To the user it would appear that the system is locked up.

A simple solution is to use pm_runtime_put_autosuspend() instead, so we
don't immediately suspend the SMMU device.

Signed-off-by: Rob Clark <[email-masked]>
---
Note: I've tied the autosuspend enable/delay to the consumer device,
based on the reasoning that if the consumer device benefits from using
an autosuspend delay, then it's corresponding SMMU probably does too.
Maybe that is overkill and we should just unconditionally enable
autosuspend.

 drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c | 11 ++++++++++-
 1 file changed, 10 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c b/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c
index c2733b447d9c..73a0dd53c8a3 100644
--- a/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c
+++ b/drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c
@@ -289,7 +289,7 @@ static inline int arm_smmu_rpm_get(struct arm_smmu_device *smmu)
 static inline void arm_smmu_rpm_put(struct arm_smmu_device *smmu)
 {
 	if (pm_runtime_enabled(smmu->dev))
-		pm_runtime_put(smmu->dev);
+		pm_runtime_put_autosuspend(smmu->dev);
 }
 
 static struct arm_smmu_domain *to_smmu_domain(struct iommu_domain *dom)
@@ -1445,6 +1445,15 @@ static int arm_smmu_attach_dev(struct iommu_domain *domain, struct device *dev)
 	/* Looks ok, so add the device to the domain */
 	ret = arm_smmu_domain_add_master(smmu_domain, fwspec);
 
+#ifdef CONFIG_PM
+	/* TODO maybe device_link_add() should do this for us? */
+	if (dev->power.use_autosuspend) {
+		pm_runtime_set_autosuspend_delay(smmu->dev,
+			dev->power.autosuspend_delay);
+		pm_runtime_use_autosuspend(smmu->dev);
+	}
+#endif
+
 rpm_put:
 	arm_smmu_rpm_put(smmu);
 	return ret;
-- 
2.21.0

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel