Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] Cleanup arm64 driver dependencies

From: Mark Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 11:53:39 +0100

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 03:33:20PM +0530, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 3:17 PM Mark Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > > I was using initcall_debugging on a QCOM platform and ran across a bunch of
> > > driver initcalls that are enabled even if their SoC support is disabled.

> > What exactly is the problem you're trying to fix here?  For the
> > drivers I looked at these were bog standard register the driver
> > with the subsystem type initcalls on optional drivers so not
> > doing anything particularly disruptive or anything like that.

> I was trying to prune the defconfig only to drivers that make sense on
> the SoC. e.g. Why should I see a brcmstb_soc_device_early_init() call
> on a QCOM system when I've disabled ARCH_BRCMSTB?

So this is really just the standard make Kconfig easier to use by
filtering out noise thing.  It'd be clearer if you said that in
the changelog, and like the review comments have been saying you
need to leave in an || COMPILE_TEST in there otherwise it's
actively harmful.

> I came across this while trying to figure out how to make thermal and
> cpufreq frameworks initialise as early as possible.

AFAICT you'd also have been happy if you just built these drivers
modular?
_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel