Subject: Re: [PATCH] arm64: dts: mt8183: Add node for the Mali GPU

From: Alyssa Rosenzweig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 14:17:29 -0400

> > > The binding we use with out-of-tree Mali drivers includes more
> > > clocks, I assume this would be required eventually if we have an
> > > in-tree driver:
> >
> > We have an in-tree driver...
> 
> Right but AFAICT it does not support Bifrost GPU (yet?).

By the time MT8183 shows up in more concrete devices, it will, certainly
in kernel-space and likely in userspace as well. At present, the DDK can
be modified to run on top of the in-tree Mali drivers, i.e. "Bifrost on
mainline linux-next (+ page table/compatible patches), with blob
userspace".

While the open userspace isn't ready here quite yet, I would definitely
encourage upstream kernel for ChromeOS, since then there's no need to
maintain the out-of-tree GPU driver.

---

More immediately, per Rob's review, it's important that the bindings
accepted upstream work with the in-tree Bifrost driver. Conceptually,
once Mesa supports Bifrost, if I install Debian on a MT8183 board,
everything should just work. I shouldn't need MT-specific changes / need
to change names for the DT. Regardless of which kernel driver you end up
using, minimally sharing the DT is good for everyone :-)

-Alyssa
_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel