Subject: [PATCH 0/7] drm/meson: add AFBC support

From: Neil Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 11:25:19 +0200

This adds support for the ARM Framebuffer Compression decoders found
in the Amlogic GXM and G12A SoCs.

The Amlogic GXM and G12A AFBC decoder are totally different, the GXM only
handling only the AFBC v1.0 modes and the G12A decoder handling the
AFBC v1.2 modes.

The G12A AFBC decoder is an external IP integrated in the video pipeline,
and the GXM AFBC decoder seems to the an Amlogic custom decoder more
tighly integrated in the video pipeline.

The GXM AFBC decoder can handle only one AFBC plane for 2 available
OSD planes available in HW, and the G12A AFBC decoder can handle up
to 4 AFBC planes for up to 3 OSD planes available in HW.

The Amlogic GXM supports 16x16 SPARSE and 16x16 SPLIT AFBC buffers up
to 4k.

On the other side, for G12A SPLIT is mandatory in 16x16 block mode, but
for 4k modes 32x8+SPLIT AFBC buffers is manadatory for performances reasons.

The Amlogic GXM and G12A AFBC decoders are integrated very differently.

The Amlogic GXM has a direct output path to the OSD1 VIU pixel input,
because the GXM AFBC decoder seem to be a custom IP developed by Amlogic.

On the other side, the Amlogic G12A AFBC decoder seems to be an external
IP that emit pixels on an AXI master hooked to a "Mali Unpack" block
feeding the OSD1 VIU pixel input.
This uses a weird "0x1000000" internal HW physical address on both
sides to transfer the pixels.

For Amlogic GXM, the supported pixel formats are the same as the normal
linear OSD1 mode.

On the other side, Amlogic added support for all AFBC v1.2 formats for
the G12A AFBC integration.

For testing, the only available AFBC buffer generation is the Android
Yukawa Dvalin Android Mali blobs found at [1].

Both SoCs has been tested using buffers generated under AOSP, but only
G12A was tested using a runtime stream of AFBC buffers, GXM was only
tested using static buffers loaded from files.

[1] https://android.googlesource.com/device/amlogic/yukawa/+/refs/heads/master/gpu/

Neil Armstrong (7):
  drm/meson: add AFBC decoder registers for GXM and G12A
  drm/meson: store the framebuffer width for plane commit
  drm/meson: Add AFBCD module driver
  drm/meson: plane: add support for AFBC mode for OSD1 plane
  drm/meson: viu: add AFBC modules routing functions
  drm/meson: hold 32 lines after vsync to give time for AFBC start
  drm/meson: crtc: add OSD1 plane AFBC commit

 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/Makefile          |   1 +
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_crtc.c      |  81 +++++-
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_drv.c       |  38 ++-
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_drv.h       |  17 ++
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_osd_afbcd.c | 370 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_osd_afbcd.h |  28 ++
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_plane.c     | 216 ++++++++++++--
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_registers.h |  61 ++++
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_viu.c       |  54 +++-
 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_viu.h       |  19 ++
 10 files changed, 842 insertions(+), 43 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_osd_afbcd.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/gpu/drm/meson/meson_osd_afbcd.h

-- 
2.22.0

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel