Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] arm64: configs: unset CPU_BIG_ENDIAN

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 15:50:55 +0100

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:47:45AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM Russell King - ARM Linux admin
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 32-bit ARM experience is that telco class users really like big
> > endian.
> 
> Right, basically anyone with a large code base migrated over from a
> big-endian MIPS or PowerPC legacy that found it cheaper to change
> the rest of the world than to fix their own code.

I think you need to step off your soap box!  Big endian isn't going
away, and it likely has nothing to do with code bases.  Just look at
networking and telco protocols.  Everything in that world tends to
be big endian.  BE is what is understood in that world, and there's
little we can do to change it.

Demanding that they switch to LE is tantamount to you demanding that
their entire world change - it ain't going to happen.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up

_______________________________________________
linux-arm-kernel mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-arm-kernel